Saturday, October 22, 2005

They are smart, worldly New York kids; or, BSC #18: Stacey’s Mistake

So, apparently Stacey’s titular mistake was thinking that her friends were hicks, or that they weren’t? I’m still not sure I understand the frenemy dynamics in this one. Anyway, a bunch of the adults in Stacey’s building (this is during the few months she lives back in New York) decide to have a big meeting about the homeless problem. Five different families want the “New York branch of the BSC” to sit, so she decides to invite Mary Anne, Kristy, Claudia and Dawn to come to the city to visit and to sit for 10 kids during the homeless meeting. And Stacey is a total hag the entire time, bitching because her friends embarrass her by:

- being loud when they’re in public
- being excited by everything, even stupid things
- being afraid of everything (Dawn)
- being jealous of Laine (Claudia)
- knowing too much trivia about New York (Mary Anne)
- and essentially not having grown up in New York

So, after random blowups/fights/making up without saying I’m sorry, they wind up having a great night at the theatre and riding IN A LIMO (which is short for limousine, according to Mary Anne’s letter to Logan).

This is one of those books where things are either sophisticated or unsophisticated:

Laine=sophisticated (“Laine was beyond chic. She had chosen a short black dress, black stockings, and simple black flats. On one wrist was a single silver bangle bracelet. On her dress was one of those silver squiggle pins. Her fluffy brown hair was newly permed and perfectly cut. She looked wonderful—at least nineteen.”)

Mary Anne=unsophisticated (her party outfit looks like a costume from Little House on the Prairie, she’s too touristy)

Etc…

Definitely wanted to smack Stacey…She gets pissed at her Stoneybrook friends cause they’re not sophisticated, instead of making her NY friends be more friendly…

On a related not, I used to obsessed with those squiggle pins…I thought they were the coolest things, especially when worn on sweater dresses. Yep, I grew up in the 80s.

8 comments:

cara said...

Nothing says "sophistication" like that new-perm smell.

Tiff said...

and those crunchy "scrunched" curls that result...and you know she has bangs...big bangs.

Kelly said...

Isn't this the one where Kristy pronounces filet mignon "fill-it-mig-none" and embarasses Stacey at a fancy restaurant? For some reason that always stuck with me. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh! I was so obsessed with the squiggle pins. And I remember details of this book really clearly - Laine's outfit description, the Hard Rock Cafe and someone (Mary Anne?) almost getting arrested for thinking an eye shadow sample was hers to take, not to try on in the store.

Courtney said...

Thanks for mentioning the fill-it-mig-none Kelly. I was going to comment on the same thing. To this day, I pronounce it that way in my head.

Ryan Michele said...

Ann M. Martin and Stacey are worse than Mary Ann when it comes to stereotyping New York tourist destinations. At least Mary Ann wants to see where Edna St. Vincent-Millay lived, whereas Stacey is obsessed with places like The Russian Tea Room, Lincoln Center, Sign of the Dove, FAO Schwartz, and Bloomingdales... go fucking south of 42nd Street, idiot. (Sorry, I shouldn't be talking... I'm from Brooklyn and you have to hold a gun to my head to get me to Manhattan... since Laine left an opening for Stacey's NY BFFE, maybe there's a spot open for me... evidently she could show me the REAL New York).

tubesy said...

Oh GOD: I seriously remember all of the passages you're quoting. This blog is awesome.

leo said...

I grew up in manhattan so I overidentified with stacey. this was one of my favorite books of the series.

this blog is amazing.