Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Even if he did sound a little jerky; or, BSC #20: Kristy and the Walking Disaster

Okay, here’s what I don’t get. Can you think of a group that wants to read about sports LESS than bookish girls, aka BSC fans? I don’t get it-- why does ANM write about sports? I played sports as a kid, and I certainly didn’t want to read about it! And other girls who read these books operated on a no-sports-at-all policy…

To the plot…Kristy creates a baseball/softball/wiffleball team comprised of kids that suck too much or are waaaaay too young to play on a Little League team. Or they’re girls, who aren’t allowed on Little League teams unless there’s no softball league. They play against Kristy’s rival/crush Bart. And lose, but, as we’re reminded every other page, they never give up…they show spirit. Blah.

This book was boring, and I really didn’t care…The only thing I really want to mention was the fact that they make a huge deal about how much crap you have to lug around with a two year old, but don’t mention how stupid it is to include a two-and-a-half year old with kids up to 10 is…

Oh, and Kristy keeps saying Watson “sounds jerky” when he sounds like a TV dad…maybe it’s cause she’s never really had a father…(cue sad piano music).

There’s a fun scene in which Claudia pulls the walking disaster’s tooth; I used to love pulling my teeth and tasting the blood. I’m weird.

3 comments:

Hannah F. said...

I'm fairly new to your blog, and love it! I just wish you'd done more on this book, I loved it. I always thought Jackie (why the hell do I remember his name? I'm 22, damnit) was way funny.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I was a bookish non-sports playing reader and I loved the Kristy's Krushers interaction. Maybe it's because I got to learn about something that I had no physical interest in, but mentally it was different to learn about.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Another one of those things that's been bothering since I last read a BSC book 15 years ago: I never understood why, if Kristy was such a jock, she didn't actually play any sports! This was written well after Title IX... surely SMS had softball/basketball/volleyball/soccer/etc teams for girls! I guess it would have interfered with the MWF meetings, though.