Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Jazzy Jo Dupre and the Fly Boys; or, BSC #61: Jessi and the Awful Secret

I always liked the books about Jessi and her dancing. She always seemed more complete than other characters, although ANM’s portrayal of the dancing world was more than a little na├»ve. And I liked that she had something other than babysitting…and I know Claudia has her art, and Kristy has her jock, and Mallory has her writing, but I liked that Jessi had something bigger than I had…Cause I liked writing, and I played sports, and I took art classes, but I didn’t dance…

Anyway, Jessi volunteers to help with a six week ballet class for “underprivileged” kids. One of the other volunteers is Mary, who is also in Jessi’s regular ballet classes. When all the volunteers go out for fast food (yeah, right, ballet students going out for fast food after class…my ass), Mary doesn’t eat, she just pushes her food around. She also obsesses about her body in the locker room, if that’s what it’s called in ballet. Well, Jessi gets to worrying, especially after Mary collapses in class. After checking in with the BSC, she decides to confront Mary about her anorexia. Well, of course, Mary denies it; what, has Jessi never seen that tv movie starring Tracey Gold? Or that one after school special? Or Center Stage? Then Jessi talks to big, scary French ballet teacher…and all is well in the world of ballet, you know the one that encourages healthy bodies and even healthier body image. Oh, and Kristy’s MILLIONAIRE stepdad sponsors a scholarship for two of the underprivileged kids.

Now, I give ANM credit for addressing the major issue of eating disorders, but I find it hard to believe that none of those girls had ever come across anorexia before…

No real secondary story to speak of, just a lot of baby-sitting for crazy Karen Brewster and Co.

PS--my real life has been interrupting my BSC blogging, so my new goal is one post a week, on Monday or Tuesday. 'Kay?

1 comment:

sarah said...

This one was always one of my favorites, maybe because it dealt with a real issue, unlike so many of the other books (not counting when they talk about Stacey's diabetes). Plus, I was like 9, and I knew more about eating disorders than the BSCers did, so I felt all smart and stuff.