Sunday, March 19, 2006

the little things that make me happy

Well, my life is finally getting settled in my new locale...I have internet (and cable!) and I finally switched my cell phone to a local area code. So, I investigated the BSC collection at one of my local libraries, and I declare this library to be AWESOME! Okay, so I know I'm a dork, and I librarian on top of that, but it was sooooo nice to see the BSC books (all library-bound, so not falling apart) on shelves (not spinning paperback racks)and IN ORDER!!!!!! Yes, they shelve the books in order, not strewn about and requiring a scavenger hunt for a particular book...So, I brought a few home with me, and I've started reading Claudia and the New Girl, which was one of my favorites growing up...so, barring natural disaster or major illness (or major procrastination cleaning sprees), regular postings will resume THIS WEEK! Yep, my current plan is for regular postings on Wednesdays, with random rants, celeb spottings and haikus whenever I feel the urge...

Speaking of random celeb sightings, I see the actress who played Jessi on the BSC tv series in random places (well, not in person, but you know what I mean)...She was on the shaken baby ripped-from-the-headlines episode of Law & Order: SVU, and a whole bunch of other Law and Order shows/episodes. And I also saw a picture of her in the Brown alumni mag. Now, I didn't go to Brown, but while I was working at the library there, I used to get the alumni mag (as a perk?), and she was in the big graduation issue...They always have a big article on commencement with tons of pictures, many of which feature the highly visible (and often famous) and active alum community. Well, she was in one of the group shots of the audience...and of course I was all "that can't be here" but I looked her up on IMDB and then in the alumni directory, and yep, it was Nicole Leach.

Oh, and the other day, I caught the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa becomes a baby sitter because she and her friends are obsessed with the "Babysitter Twins," and they show a book with the alphabet block logo...heh.

10 comments:

Jo said...

I love your blog! It's hilarious! I feel shame to admit that in 6th grade, my friends and I decided to make our own Babysitters Club. I was Mary Anne because I had brown hair and cried alot. I didn't get to be Claudia because nobody noticed the fact that I was Asian apparently...either that or my pink sweatshirt with a teddy bear doing jazzercise kept me from the "sophisticated" category.

Tiff said...

me, I tried to be arty by wearing oversized button-down shirts with crazy patterns...and stirrup pants...let us not forget the stirrup pants...and I had a pink sweatshirt with kittens in baskets...really sophisticated

jo said...

Ah, stirrup pants...creator of stork legs and the infamous cameltoe.

emily said...

I owned the actual oversized sweatshirt that Claudia is wearing on the cover of Claudia and the Phantom Phone calls. The one with robots on it!

Anonymous said...

You're also on gawker.com

Fleur said...

nicole leech is from my town (montlcair,nj). i remember seeing her at one of our town pools and asking her "you're jessi, right?". aww memories

Anonymous said...

I actually know her (Nicole Leach), we grew up together and still see each other occasionally. She also got the only good review as the lead (Coco) in the Broadway version of "Fame" a while back and was recently in a Comcast commercial. She's a total sweetheart and is engaged to a very cute French guy!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Dick Wolf and the L&O peeps must like the BSC because Schulyer Fisk (aka Kristy of the BSC movie) was recently on an episode of SVU as well.

I also saw Bre Blair (aka Stacey of the BSC movie) on a promo for a new ABC show called What About Brian?

Nice to see the 'baby-sitters' getting work.

Zesty Cactus said...

I actually know "a" Nicole Leach, but not "the" Nicole Leach. The Nicole I know is fourteen and white, so I know they aren't the same, but yeaaah.

I love your blog, btw.

Lauren said...

Oh my god. I did a show with Nicole Leach, a production of FAME, and she played Carmen (sings the 80s hit FAME! and drops out of high school to move to LA and do drugs!!!!!) and all I could think of was that she was Jessi on the BSC tv show. She was also on this local cable commercial where she sang a song about cable...for 1-800-OK-CABLE.