Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sushi, elk meat, and rice paper; or, BSC #30: Mary Anne and the Great Romance

So, the plot of this book is…Mary Anne’s dad (Richard) and Dawn’s mom (Sharon) get hitched. Short engagement, small wedding, Mary Anne gets upset about having to move into Dawn’s house.

Subplot, aka THE CLUNKIEST AND MOST OBVIOUS FORESHADOWING EVER, Marilyn and Carolyn, the twins from Mallory and the Trouble with Twins, aren’t getting along. They’re becoming their own girls, but they’re fighting and competing for their parents affections. And Marilyn has no friends while Carolyn is all popular. So Marilyn makes up an exotic and exciting friend named…Gozzie Kunka. And not one of the BSC even suspects that this person is made up. So, they finally start getting along when they ask to have their own bedrooms. Voila, problem solved. And this is going on the entire time Dawn and Mary Anne are deciding to share a room after the wedding. And no one connects the two. Of course, as not complete idiots, we can see where this is going in book 31, Dawn’s Wicked Stepsister.

This one wasn’t very exciting. Lots of stupid little fights, none of which I wanted to read about. Waaaaaaaay too much unsubtle foreshadowing (which really makes me miss Joss Whedon),

There were a few weird little things, though.

  1. Apparently, because of her diabetes, Stacey has to check her urine every day. I’m pretty sure this is only time that the word urine was ever uttered in the entire series. I could be wrong, but this totally made me double take. (And made me glad I read chapter 2.)

  2. Oh, and if Stacey visits her dad soooo much, why is she always in town? Why doesn’t she ever miss anything? Just curious.

  3. I’m totally blaming Stacey’s “body wave in her short blond hair” for all my bad perms in the 80s.

  4. I never had Mary Anne pegged as a school nerd. Sure, quite the goody goody, but not particularly attached to school. In this one, however, she made up “The Game of School,” a complete rip-off of the Game of Life. She’s all proud, and she gives the game to the twins to play, not even imagining the fight that it’s going to cause. I guess that comes from being an only child, cause anyone with siblings knows that the Game of Life is second only to Monopoly in terms of guaranteed ways to start a screaming match. Oh well. She’ll learn soon enough.

  5. Okay, so, Sharon is always “scatterbrained,” but it DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE! Scatterbrained is constantly misplacing thing, sure, but I sincerely doubt leaving ONE HIGH HEELED SHOE IN THE VEGETABLE CRISPER is scatterbrained. What was she even doing with the shoe in the fridge? Every time ANM gives us an example of how scatterbrained she is, my head explodes from sheer bafflement. None of it makes any sense!

  6. Oh, and I had totally forgotten how the only real brand ANM mentions in the earlier books is Laura Ashley.

23 comments:

Lucy said...

Take note of who gave the cat(?) pin to whom so that when you get to #31 you can be suitably disgusted. It always annoyed me they couldn't keep the continuity going from one book to the next, when they specifically made a point of one following on directly from the other!

Abbey said...

I totally remember this particular book. I don't remember it being boring, but I was also 9. : )

Still loving this site. Keep it up!

keri said...

Ooooh I totally made the same "body wave" mistake. Over and over again.

Miss Scarlet said...

I was always the girl with curly hair and everyone with perms would be so jealous of my hair...but I was jealous they had staight hair like Claudia.

Rebecca f said...

Nice job covering this book... I totally remember it now.

I actually really loved the decriptions of things that Sharon did. They always amused me. And since I do some similar things when I'm good and distracted and home alone, I guess I see them as reasonably possible -- although I definitely haven't ever put a shoe in the fridge. A book maybe, but never a shoe.

Rebecca said...

I'm totally with you on the "scatterbrained" overkill- its the same thing as with Claudia's idiocy- WAAAAY too overdone to the point of making Dawn's mom seem borderline mentally ill. I vaguely remember something in one of the books where ANM had her leaving the house with only one eye made-up and one side of her hair curled...bitch, please.

Anonymous said...

clearly, sharon has early onset alzheimer's. or schizophrenia.

Library Lady said...

Laura Ashley comments = reason I want to be the fashion consultant for ANM. I mean seriously... Did anyone of you actually wear Laura Ashley? C'mon now... Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiff! This is genius! I'm an editor and I have a questions for you but I don't know how to contact you. Can you email me? kmarino@randomhouse.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, gawd! Laura Ashley. What's next? A "dibbly fresh" painter's smock and Girbaud jeans paired with earrings made from lawnmower parts?

Sara said...

The Laura Ashley dress! Didn't Mary Anne wear that? OF COURSE she did.

I remember this book, because it had that stupid picture of Sharon looking about 15 when she threw the bouquet.

And that one part where Mary Anne gives Sharon a Stonebrook High class ring, and Dawn is jealous. Bitches, all of 'em.

'sup said...

I am lovin' this blog. I'm a BSC fan from way back. I was just remembering the last time I read a BSC book- I went to an Arts High School away from home, and I was reading Super Special #1 (for comfort!) One of the cool girls from my class walked into my room unannounced and my knee-jerk reaction was to fling the book across the room to try and hide it. But I flung it right at her and she picked it up and said, "I love that you still read these!" It was horribly embarassing at the time. But I just proudly bought the BSC graphic novel (which I loved!) I'll hide my love for the BSC no longer! If you need guest bloggers, please let me know. I'd love an excuse to read the books again.

Jinger said...

Wow...you're blog really takes me back. I miss those days of being locked away in my room reading like 3 BSC books in one weekend. Ugh...I was such a geek! LOL.

mitch said...

Anyone ever notice how Laura Ashley was replaced by Eddie Bauer later on? Gross to grosser.

donnatron said...

DAWN'S MOTHER AND HER SHOE!

Damn, that's the only thing that has stuck with me from that series. I still think about it sometimes. And I don't know why.

I also think about Mary Anne's kicky mustard-yellow top and maroon-Amish-skirt ensemble that she was wearing on the cover of one of the books. I think she was taking care of a sick kid.

Awesome blog, by the by.

Anonymous said...

I have a confession to make... I made my own "Game of School" based on Mary Anne's.

*Cringes in corner*

Lacy said...

I am 20 years old but I have remembered for at least 10 years that high heel in the vegetable crisper. It made me periodically check my family's refrigerator just in case a scatterbrained relative of mine left any surprises.

WashingtonJen said...

Oh my god, ANM IS a HUGE moron. I am pretty sure you don't check your pee everyday when you are a diabetic. If I am not mistaken, you need to check your blood sugar... and in order to so, one must actually prick their finger, draw blood, smear a little of it on a glucometer stick, place the stick into a glucometer and then wait for the results... It would have taken ANM all of five minutes to figure this out and put it in her book, but noooo, she just decides off the top of her head, that checking your pee suffices. I think she mixed up how you check for drugs with how you manage your diabetes. STUPID! I hate ANM more and more. It's not fair she got rich from this crap.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, I'm with whoever said that Sharon's gotta have Alzheimer's or something. Who fucking puts a SHOE IN THE CRISPER?

Anonymous said...

Okay, so, Sharon is always “scatterbrained,” but it DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE! Scatterbrained is constantly misplacing thing, sure, but I sincerely doubt leaving ONE HIGH HEELED SHOE IN THE VEGETABLE CRISPER is scatterbrained. What was she even doing with the shoe in the fridge? Every time ANM gives us an example of how scatterbrained she is, my head explodes from sheer bafflement. None of it makes any sense!
I absolutely agree. I see no reason for anyone, especially a mother/stepmother of two teen-aged girls and a preteen boy to be this scatterbrained. I mean, if her kids were like the Barretts then maybe it would be more believable, but c'mon. I could see Buddy, Suzy and Marnie getting her that distracted.

Shannon

Ella said...

Haha, I LOVE your reviews of these books, and I definately remember this one.
Although, one little thing - the urine thing is correct, you don't HAVE to do it, but it's handy. Perhaps her parents were just freakily overzealous?

Anyhow, wonderful blog :)

Wanderlusting said...

Oh GAWD the scatterbrained thing. I am SO in agreement with you! That used to baffle me - who puts earrings in their fridge?

Dawn's Mom MUST be high on California weed.

Anonymous said...

HA! I always figured she was a burnout from the 70's in CA too! I guess ANM couldn't say that, but I think everyone knows what drugs are by the time can read "chapter books..." except for ANM herself!