Wednesday, July 19, 2006

She’s purebred. She cost four hundred dollars; or, BSC # 11: Kristy and the Snobs

There is sooooo much wrong in this book. This is another one where something serious and real happens, and it’s kinda dealt with by the characters, but it’s not really handled realistically…

Yeah, so Louie is getting old. [Wait? Who’s Louie? Oh, yeah. Kristy’s dog.] And they have to put him to sleep. And it’s not totally glossed over, but it’s completely covered in about three chapters. The rest of the book is devoted to Kristy’s new clients in her rich people neighborhood. And to a prank war with Shannon, one of her rich girl neighbors. Yep. This whole book is about the everlasting battle between rich and step-dad rich. And she and Shannon start out as enemies, but then become friends in like five minutes, and I can’t quite figure out how they resolve things. And Shannon gives the Thomas-Brewer household a puppy from her dog Astrid of Grenville, a pedigreed Bernese Mountain dog. And Shannon becomes the second associate member of the BSC. And that’s the plot. Oh, and Dawn’s all upset cause Jeff’s miserable and wants to go back to Cali. So, this week, I’m just going to offer a few choice observations and quotes.

1. Why is Dawn so upset about Jeff? She’s at that age when she’s probably wishing she didn’t have a younger brother. While my bro and I get along fabulously now (most of the time), when I was 13 we were all about the top of our lungs screaming matches wishing death at each other and punching and kicking.

2. “A few minutes later, three other girls joined the first one. They were all wearing the exact same outfit – a private-school uniform. They were slender, three of them had blond hair, and they were wearing makeup and stockings. They looked sleek, sophisticated, and self-confident.” No one looks sophisticated in a private school uniform…they look like students. And Mary Anne’s kilts and pullovers with knee socks and penny loafers? Kinda private school uniformy. And they keep referring to her old uniform as babyish, but when the rich bitches wear the same ensemble, it’s sophisticated. And they insult Kristy cause she’s got holes in her jeans. Cause that wasn’t high style in the 80s or anything.

3. As a prank, Shannon calls Kristy while she’s sitting at the Delaneys’ and tells her the house is on fire. That’s pretty fucked up.

4. A four hundred dollar cat is not an outdoor cat. Not gonna happen.

5. I have always liked Mr. and Mrs. Pike. Despite the fact that stupid Mal thinks they treat her like a baby, they’re really cool with all the kids. And they take breaks to go out by themselves. They’re easy going, and they seem like they’d be good to go to if you’re having a problem. Mal’s a dumbass.

6. How come no one in the BSC ever misses a meeting for a sitting job? Is it magic? Does no one in Stoneybrook ever need a sitter MWF 5-5:30.

No good Claudia outfits in this book.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also always wondered how come they are never on jobs between 5:30 and 6, 3 times a week. Maybe the parents in Stoneybrook are just that considerate of the BSC...after all, it seems like quite frequently the BSC members make better parents to their charges than the parents are themselves!

Miss Scarlet said...

The world stops for BSC meetings!

Mrs. Nesbit said...

I grew up not-so-rich in a particularly affluent Southern Connecticut town (sidebar: I was always pissed off because Stoneybrook is NOT a town in Connecticut), and I have to say, the descriptions of Kristy's rich neighbors are actually pretty accurate. I went to school with girls who made fun of my hand-me-down and consignment store clothing, and who, one time, checked the tag on my shirt to make sure it was from the Gap (and these were my FRIENDS!) so... Southern CT has it's own brand of evil, fucked-up, middle school girls, I guess. I mean, we grow out of it, and this isn't to say that ANM is completely ridiculous, but she's kind of on the money on this one.

Mrs. Nesbit said...

p.s. I LOVE THIS BLOG.

I distinctly remember when I was in elementary school, instead of counting sheep to fall asleep, I would go through the titles of all the BSC books and what COLOR the book was. I think I could get up into the high 60s.

So thanks for this.

Sara said...

I always liked the Pike parents too. You gotta be pretty steely to take 8 kids to the beach, plus 2 babysitters. Aye caramba! And the cruise trip -- wasn't it Mr. Pike who won the damn thing in the first place? Mal does suck.

The only thing I remember about this one was the terrible cover: Kristy standing there with Louie, and the snobs turning up their noses at her. How classic.

Rebecca said...

Stockings? Bitch, please. As if 7th graders are wearing stockings to school. Are they wearing them with pumps too?

Soph said...

Perhaps in the perfect world of Stoneybrook parents are home from work at 5 o'clock in order to call the Babysitters Club at 5:30 or whatever...it made so much sense when I was younger...

annie said...

About the pranks Kristi and Shannon pull on each other - doesn't one of them order a diaper service to start delivering to the other's house? wtf? Perhaps these 13 year olds with rich families have their own credit cards they can use to pull pranks like that?

PoBaL said...

I always wondered about #6, too.
Maybe that's what the club bitches--uh, I mean alternate members--were for.
Speaking of, wouldn't you be tempted to say, "Oh, Mrs Prissy Girl Whose Name I Can't Remember, none of our regular sitters are busy, but I can get you in touch with an alternate, who just so happens to be the bitch who told me my house was on fire last week"?
I guess I'm just not BSC material. Sigh.

puff said...

I remember in this book that they named the new puppy after Shannon ... Is having a dog named after you such an honor? I mean, I'd think it was a snide way of implying that the person was a bitch. Burn!

Anonymous said...

Why do you guys call her ANM? Isnt her middle initial M?

amanda said...

I always liked the Pikes too, more down to earth realistic than other parents. Rather like the Weasleys. And Mal is a dumbass - she was always my least favorite character, whiney (about her great parents, family, whatever), and I could never forgive her for wearing those stupid heart-covered tights to her first BSC meeting.

BSCfans said...

We'd like to host you. Drop us an email.

BSCfans said...

We'd like to host you. Drop us an email if you're interested to know more.

Mollie said...

Holy shit, this blog is incredible. I stumbled into it during the course of some research; I'm a pop-culture journalist type thing -- i.e. poor and only marginally employed -- and I'm working on a piece about the BSC. I wanted to email you directly, but I couldn't find an address for you, soooo...if you have the time, or the desire, please send me an email at m.paige.w@gmail.com. I'd love to use you a source for my piece.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
MPW

Anonymous said...

You guys thought you were geeky?
In fourth grade, I made a comprehensive, accurate, and elaborate MAP of STONEYBROOK, including every location mentioned in every book. I made sure to construct the town so that every detail (So and so's house is nearer to the school than the other's) would hold up. Little did I know I was working against ghost-written continuity problems.I SO wish I still had it (don't you?)
Little geeky boys had Lord of the Rings, we had paper-machie jewlery.

BSCfans said...

Hi there :) I couldn't find an email address, so if you're interested about the offer to be hosted, email me at:
feedbacka[a]gmail.com
(Replace [a] with @.)

Anonymous said...

I never undertsood the uniform thing either. Plus, stockings? Totally M.A.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Weasley comment. I could totally see that. Especially when Ron Weasley says in the first book that his dad's second cousin or something is an accountant.
Wouldn't that be hilarious if it was Mr. Pike? But I can't remember what he did for a living, or did they ever say?

Shannon

Melissa said...

I really like your blogs, even though I am a huge BSC fan I've read almost all of them i enjoyed you putting them down. Recently I have been rereading them (What can i say, no life lol) and I realize I find some stupid pointless parts to.

PS Is it me or am i the only one who thinks Mary Anne's handwritting isn't the only nice one in the books? i also like Jessie's and kristy's

I hate Abby's I can't believe a 13 would write that sloppy

PPS can you review some Abby books when or if you come back to this? I swear she is is like the worst pointless most annoying character right up there with Mallory.

Ella said...

I think you'd be surprised- I don't get along with my siblings at all, but would still be pretty upset if they moved across the country- even when I was 13. Secondly, compared to the price some people pay, $400 isn't a lot for a purebred cat (although this WAS in the 80's), and plenty of owners still let them outside. I actually re-read this book last night and cried over Louie. Tragic. I always liked the Pike parents too- in my little fantasy where one of the BSC members get pregnant (just to add a little PG-13 element to the books) Mrs Pike always comes to the rescue.
(I realize commenting this is ridiculous, because it was written years ago, but that is JUST how anal I am.)

metamorphstorm said...

It bugs me that the book says "Three other girls" (joined Shannon, when kristy's waiting for her school bus. Shannon has TWO sisters, just Tiffany and Maria--who's the third girl?? It's never explained, is it?

I agree about the Pikes; how can any eleven-year-old (Mal) think that her parents treat her like a baby when they let her baby-sit, leave her in charge of her siblings, PAY HER, and let her go on crazy vacations with friends and very little adult supervision, such as RV-ing across America and going to Europe, or whatever?? I was never allowed to even go to a summer camp (not even the 3-day one) and she did that and a lot more. She seems pretty ungrateful and "blind," despite being such an insightful bookish type...