Tuesday, September 26, 2006

And his voice is starting to change, which is so cool…; or, BSC Super Special #3: Baby-sitters’ Winter Vacation.

I think this might be the worst super special. Period. There is so much in this book that made me just go WHAT?!?!?!

The gist: All of Stoneybrook Middle School (except for Logan!) are going to the Leicester Lodge in Hooksett Crossing, Vermont, for a whole week. They’re off for a week of fun winter sports and the Winter War, a competition that pits half of the school against the other half. Fun! But the weather is being a bitch, making for slippery roads. One of the SMS buses skids off the road, but no one gets hurt. One of the other groups staying at the Lodge, a group of elementary school kids, is not so lucky; their bus flips or something, and all the teachers have to go to the hospital, but all the kids are fine. So, the BSC, because apparently they don’t really want a vacation, volunteer to watch the sixteen kids for the week, with some help from the teachers…yup, they’re even bunking together…DUMBASSES!!!!!!

And of course, each girl has some event or something to deal with…

Kristy: She’s the organizer for the Winter War AND she’s her team’s captain. So, she’s all competitive and bitchy and pushy. She gets pissy when people don’t want to participate, and she gets even pissier when people mess up…She even breaks a kid’s ankle…sort of. She pretty much bullies this kid into cross country skiing, and he breaks his ankle, and she feels all kinds of guilty. But he forgives her and even asks her to dance at the dance at the end of the week.

Mary Anne: She’s apparently the nerdiest person in the history of SMS, as she’s the first person to ever volunteer to be the trip historian. But instead of working on her paper, she moons about Logan, and obsesses about all the hot bikini-ed girls in Aruba. Oh, and she tries to research the legend of the lodge ghost, but, like so much else in this book, it doesn’t really go anywhere.

Stacey: Meets a boy. And she’s in love, and he’s in love.

Claudia: She’s dumb enough to think that her 25-year-old ski instructor likes her, and she’s totally heartbroken when he introduces her to his wife and two kids…

Dawn: She’s homesick and klutzy and has a fight with Mary Anne. Boring.

Jessi: She’s organizing the talent show, and she’s afraid to participate in any of the athletic events, cause she thinks she’ll hurt herself and never dance again! Oh, and she dances at the show, and everyone applauds and she finally feels like she belongs…[wipes away tears.] Oh, and she thinks this bitchy girl from the elementary school is racist. Turns out she’s homesick and she’s bitchy and she’s called Pinky.

Mal: is an idiot. She’s attempting the whole lame-o Harriet the Spy thing again AND she’s absolutely terrified of the dance. To the point where she hopes they have to evacuate before the dance…stupid bitch.

So, thems the major plot points. Not much good clothing in this one, cause they’re wearing a lot of snow gear. However, Claud has some impressive skiing goggles…

And that’s all I can say about this one…it was dreadful. Seriously trying to forget.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this blog!! I always look forward to a new entry...
You should do babysitter's little sister, although I know how much Karen bugs you, I know that it would be fricken hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what a lame superspecial but, I do agree that a Little Sister would be pretty hilarious.

Thanks for these. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Oh god! No! No Little Sister! Please! For your own sanity, please don't do any Little Sisters.

Um, and Claudia was remarkably stupid in this one. See what happens when you don't let her dress "wildly?"

Kristina said...

I distinctly remember the cover of this book and thinking it looked so good and that I would love it. I can't remember if I did or not. Maybe I did. Which would tell you just how much better my taste in reading has come along since I was barely teen.

andrea said...

yeah, definitely the worst super special ever. i haven't read the european vacation one, but this one sucks.

Sara said...

This one was uber-lame. I remember Mallory being so embarrassed at the dance when some kid from her math class (Justin!) asks her to dance, and she steps on his feet FOUR TIMES.

Good lord. Klutzy much?

And Kristy was a TOTAL beeyotch in this one. So mean and competitive about that stupid Winter War.

Library Lady said...

Okay, I'm putting it out there... This was my favorite super special. Much better than the one where Stacey gets traped in a car with her mom for 12 hours or something... C'mon now... (*shuffling feet*)... Don't judge me.

Anonymous said...

Love this blog!!! Its hilarious. Now riddle me this: (and this is for anyone who reads this blog who may know which non-BSC book I am talking about) In my youth (80s-90s) I read tons of young adult fiction that wasn't limited to BSC exclusively. I am trying to figure out the title of a book - I know the part of the title was "Sunday" which was the name of the main character - but it was about a young girl who gets her braces removed and suddenly gets into modeling. She meets a girl also in modeling who is emotionally disturbed and tries to kill herself. Ultimately our main character decides that modeling is not for her and at the end of the book takes some huge scissors and cuts off her long french braid. The cover shows her in the bathroom looking at herself in the mirror after cutting her hair. Any clues as to this book's title??? HELP!!! Thanks!

Colleen said...

I'll admit I loved this one (maybe that's just because I loved all of them, though)...I would always read it on snowdays.

But seriously, with how rich Stoneybrook is, how can they not raise enough money to pay for the trip???

Anonymous said...

I actually like this SS. Mary Anne mooning over Logan is hilarious. And how could you not like Jessi's subplot, which was essentially The Girl Who Cried Racism?

Cassandra said...

I think Shadow Lake is the worst Super Special; nothing happens in that one at all. The blizzard and busload of kids, while stupid and improbable, at least provide plot points. And at least there are no Karen or David Michael chapters in this one.

Dawn said...

You are awesome! i am so glad that i found this site. :) This super special wasnt exaclty on my top ten, but it's plot and story lines were better than the 12th super special (here come the bridesmaids)Now that one always annoyed me...Anyways, thanks so much fr brighting my day!

Anonymous said...

Karen did suck. Did anyone else hate how she always referred to her mother and Seth's house as "the little house" and Watson's house as "the big house"? Yeah, I'm sure your mom really loves the constant reminder of how well she did in the divorce...

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Babysitters thought they would get some kind of school credits for babysitting while on holiday. I can understand maybe babysitting during the day - like, hanging out with the kids, skiing and skating and making snowmen with them, but to actually *bunk* with them?! Don't they *want* to talk about boys and make-up and bras and other 13-year-old things?! Freaks. :P

Little Willow said...

Hello there! I'm writing a piece on BSC for a lit monthly. Would you like to contribute a quote or two? Please let me know by emailing littlewillow AT slayground DOT net

I will be linking to your blog.

Christy said...

Ok, I love this blog more than Mary Anne loves Logan. But what I really need to comment on is the Camp Mohawk super-special. I just read it yesterday and there's a line in there about some camper who can't swim because she's Iroquois. WHAT!?!!

Katie Gillet said...

i love your supra-titles! Little sister might be interesting if you can bring yourelf to it.

Anonymous said...

I rememebr this was the first ever BSC book I owned myself (the school library got some good use out of me). And I also remember thinking that Mary Anne seriously needs a hobby.

Anonymous said...

how many times do these girls fall in 'love'??
And... Logan. gah. He's not interested in the bikini girls, Mary Anne, because he's obviously not interested in girls... :P
and all the 'omg older man likes me!' and she's like, 13. Ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous comment awhile back wanted to know that title of the book about the girl who becomes a model...It's called "Adorable Sunday."

Anonymous said...

I didn't even REMEMBER this Super Special and I do have way too many neurons permanently used up by ANM.
As for the Blizzard Super Special I must have been a perverse young child because I lived for these natural disaster super specials (stranded on an island?)
Also are you going to review the one where 13 year old Dawn or someone dates a 19 year old guy? Were they 13 in dog years or what?

Katie said...

Can I just say I love this blog? Thanks so much for your commentaries, I find them very entertaining.

You know, I didn't care for this SS much myself, but the one I always disliked the most was #2, the Camp Mohawk one. No idea why, maybe it was because I hate camping.

Anonymous said...

Ugh . . . I HATED MA's "storyline". The Logan thing is so lame. And I've always wondered why they even have a historian for this trip; seriously, what's the point? But I think the worst Super Special would have to be Here Come the Bridesmaids. I found that one to be incredibly boring. No boyfriends, hardly any drama , nada. At least Winter Vacation has some sort of drama!

Anonymous said...

Library lady! This was my favorite Superspecial too. I loved it. I dreamt of going to a lodge like that.

Anonymous said...

Possibly the guy Claudia liked was French? And named Pierre?

How do I remember this?

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Question, and I know this is really really late, but I just re-read this bad boy last night: how the hell does Kristy know how to ski? Claudia, I'll buy, even though we never, ever hear about Kishi family ski trips before or after this book. Stacey, same deal. But Kristy?

First off, she specifically says in whatever the hell one they go to Florida in that she's never even left Connecticut before, except to visit cousins in some BS place. Second, I don't think that Mrs. Thomas, pre-Watson, was taking her four kids on lots of ski trips on her single mom salary and with her limited free time. We skiied here and there when I was growing up, and it took a couple of trips to even be moderately good. If Kristy's competitive with Claudia, where the hell did she learn to ski and get that good???

Anonymous said...

actually, didn't Claud and the fam always go to Vermont? and it was rough their first time without Mimi? i think that's where she picked up the skiing.

Kristen King, Inkthinker said...

Pretty sure the ski instructor was French, but his name was Guy, not Pierre. I remember this bc Claud write that it rhymed with SKY but I wasn't sure if she meant where the sun is or she just couldn't spell SKI.

metamorphstorm said...

I think Pierre was the guy Stacey fell in "luv" with in this one. He tells her he's from one of those states (Montana?) near Canada, and she asks if he's French-Canadian. He said NEAR Canada, not IN it. But I could be wrong; Stace and Claud fall in love way too often. Claud's plotline was ridiculous, falling for a 25-year-old...she and Stacey both seem to think older guys (Wes, that sub, too) really like them...and he was 23 or something :P