Wednesday, September 13, 2006

She’s the only person at Camp Mohawk who actually has a Mohawk; or, BSC Super Special #2: Baby-sitters’ Summer Vacation.

Ah, yes, this was pretty much my favorite super special. They all go to Camp Mohawk; Jessi and Mal are “junior CITs,” while the rest of the club, including Stacey and Logan, are CITs. That’s counselors in training, for those in the know. (Heh, my brother was a CIT at Boy Scout camp, but he got kicked out for toilet-papering the lakefront. Which I know is completely unrelated to the BSC, but I just think it’s a funny, typical “camp prank” story.) So, here’s what goes down…

Stacey has to get talked into going to camp. She’s all worried about leaving Bloomingdales. Cause she’s lame. But she gets her comeuppance, oh yes! She gets crazy sick and spends like a week in the infirmary. She has “a big mosquito bite surrounded by poison ivy, my red eyes were pinkeye…my sneezing and aches and tiredness were a cold, the disgusting thing by my mouth was impetigo [Come on Stace, don’t deny that you caught the herpes!], and all the itchiness was from more insect bites and, of course, the poison ivy. (The dyspepsia was a nervous stomach, which cleared up as soon as I found out I didn’t have Lyme disease.)” Yep, she’s got the plague. Apparently, the second you leave NYC, you catch all sorts of nasties.

Kristy lets the other CITs in her cabin give her a makeover. She actually wears makeup.

Claudia falls in LUV with a Japanese-American boy. They have lots in common, and Claud’s a smitten kitten.

Jessi and Mal don’t get along with their cabin mates, cause they act all juvenile and clingy, and they’re “special” CIT status. One of the girls in the cabin calls them “oreos,” misusing a racial slur. But, Mal and Jessi write a play for some of the younger girls to put on that “teaches” the other girls to be more accepting…LAME!

Mary Anne gets in trouble for sneaking trying to sneak around the lake that separates the boys’ and girls’ camps. Why? Cause she wants to prove that she’s cool to the other CITs, and they don’t believe Logan exists. Oh, and she decides to let the other girls pierce her ears, but they chicken out before she does.

Dawn tries to figure out the quiet girl in her cabins. Oh, and she gets a group of kids lost in the wilderness. [Um, lost in the wilderness, stuck on an island (Oh, I miss good Liz Phair!), Dawn’s got some problems with keeping kids safe. Maybe, she shouldn’t be a babysitter?]

Logan gets razzed by the boy CITs because of the lame-o love letter Mary Anne sends him. Should I transcribe it here? Why not?

Dear Logan,

I miss you so much! I am counting the days until next Wednesday. This next week will seem like a year. I think of you and want to swon swoon.Oh, to feel your arms around me at the dance! It has been too long since our last kiss.

I will be wearing the formal teepee wear, of course, and a yellow ribbon in my hair. What of you, my love? Will you wear your after-shave? If you were to bring me a yellow flower to match my ribbon, I would melt in your arms.

Love forever, kisses and hugs, your love-bunny, Mary Anne XXOO


My single favorite moment of the book? Logan’s outfit: “I put on my teepee shorts and teepee polo shirt and tied my teepee sweater casually around my shoulders.” Yup, Logan is a girl.

33 comments:

colleen said...

I'll admit, I never liked this one as much as Shadow Lake...could we ever get ANM to just write super specials? Like, Babysitters Go to Their First Frat Party?

Anonymous said...

"Stuck on an Island" is one of my favorite Liz Phair songs. It's rare to find someone else who's heard it, since it's not on any of her studio albums.

Annie said...

Claudia certainly gets around with the vacation hookups in the Super Specials. She has that Secret Admirer in the first one, the other CIT in this one, and that really smart guy in the one where they go to California.

Anonymous said...

C'mon, Logan is SUPER HOT!!!!!!! Who can honestly say they didn't want their very own good ol' boy version of Cam Geary?

Library Lady said...

Me.

PoBaL said...

I love how Claudia always had to go out of town to date one of "her" people.
And I never thought about it before, but you're right. Let's catalog the ways in which Dawn is an unsafe sitter! (note: having a ghost, or potential ghost, does not count)

rachel said...

oh, i love "stuck on an island." kristy wore ponys in this one!!! and poor stacey - i mean, really.

mary anne's letter sounds so stilted and weird - like maybe it's a secret code. counting every fourth letter spells out another message!

Sara said...

I remember reading this one, and seeing that silly Rockette kick pose on the front cover -- gag!

That said, this was one of my favorite Super Specials. The one where they go to NYC together (not the #13 regular book) is good too.

But seriously, who could forget Kristy's makeover? Or Mary Anne trying so desperately to be cool. Good times, good times.

Anonymous said...

um, yeah, that was sarcasm "LIBRARY LADY"

Anonymous said...

this is the best thing ever.......


Stacey was such a bitch

Liss said...

From what I can remember, Dawn loses kids or gets lost with them at least 4 times throughout the series! She lost Buddy Barrett in her first book, gets lost in the wilderness with the kids in this one, gets lost and stuck on an island with the kids in another special and she lost Clover and Daffodil in California... kind of a tad worrying really.

Anonymous said...

Aw man, you left out that fact that the other boys begin referring to Mary Anne as a "feeb"! That was my favorite part of this book.

Dawn said...

awesome! This brightens my every Wednesday.

annie said...

Liss- she also loses her little cousin while she and Mary Anne are babysitting in Stacey and the Bad Girls...wow, I never realized how easily Dawn loses kids!

Susy said...

Maybe Dawn has inherited this not-being-able-to-keep-tabs-on-something from her mom.....y'know, a high heel in the crisper, etc?

Desci said...

Ye gods, I love this blog. Tiff, you do some damn fine work!

Sugar Never Tasted So Good said...

I love your reviews. Hilarious! Growing up, my favorite book was A Ghost at Dawn's House. If you have that one, could you review it soon?

Tiff said...

heh...i just finished reading it last night and planned on writing it up tonight...

Anonymous said...

I don't know why, but when i think of this book, I remember her cairnes (that is how you spell it) and how one had collapsed. Weird what you remember. I definitely remember the earpiercing attempt and the 'oreo' thing. I'm Australian, so we don't have oreos, so i had to wait until the internet had become popular or find a movie to show me sort of what it was...
Maryanne's letter sucks.
A yellow ribbon in her hair? That's what she'd say if she'd never met the boy before!
Was this the one where Claudia and the guy are watching a movie and they leave to talk... and it's like, the second last day of camp or something!
ahahaha 'feeb'... i remember THAT.

Anonymous said...

p.s. This book, even at age 11 or so, made me start thinking that Logan is gay and closetted.

KO said...

YAY, thanks for doing this one!
There WAS something weird about Mary Anne's letter - I think she wrote it and left it on her bunk to prove Logan was real to her bitchy co-CITs, but then somehow it got mailed? It always bugged me that Logan was just like, "uh, okay" and got her a yellow flower, instead of saying "why the fuck did my girl write me this weird letter that doesn't sound like her at all? We're through." He was way too nice to be an actual 13 year old boy. The good-looking ones were always jerks.

Preetadelic said...

Thanks for reviewing this one! I loved it. "What of you, my love?" is too funny!! maryanne is a FEEB!!!

Kristin said...

I loved loved LOVED those Super Specials. That one was especially good.

Anonymous said...

Swoon. Aftershave. Teepee sweater thrown casually around shoulders. Jesus H. Christ.

What bugs me is that Ann M. Martin always said that Mary Anne was based on herself. So, what Ann M, Martin had a effeminate boyfriend, a dead mother, no balls, and wrote crap love letters? Man, she sucks.

Lindsey said...

Did anyone see the line about Heather, a camp in this book, not being able to swim because Iroquois? WTF? Can anyone explain?

Rachael said...

The letter and Logan's outfit description STILL crack me up. What a closet flamer.

I saw mention of this site in OSU's campus newspaper, and have been sitting here for about an hour and a half reading everything... it makes me want to go home and find all of my books. I'm pretty much in love with your recaps. Kepp them coming

Katie said...

Great review.

I always disliked this one though, as in whenever I felt the urge to re-read any of the Super Specials, it was rarely this one. I have no idea why, can only surmise that it was the fact that I hated camp.

I actually re-read this about a year or so ago when I was bored and enjoyed it more. But I laugh at the whole MA is a feeb thing, and that she was dumb enough to care about what those girls thought.

And...I never even thought about Logan being "in the closet," but now it kinda makes sense!

Kristin said...

Lindsey, I am not 100% but I think that the campers were grouped according to age or something. And the age groups were then given names of American Indian tribes. So, Heather couldn't swim because she was Iroquois probably meant either she was 1. too young or 2. it was not her group's designated swim time.

LemurCat said...

Hehehe.

Here's a list of things I remember from this book, which I probably read 20 years ago:

-Jackie R. losing his hat after putting it out the window of the bus

-Kristy's blue Pony hightops with the velcro. (My mother so wanted to buy a pair of them for me.)

-Mohawk Joe and how everyone just had to mention she was the only one at camp with a "real" Mohawk.

-One of the two younger idiots thinking they hit some kid at the archery range

Anonymous said...

This book has so many classic moments! MA trying to be cool, Kristy's make-over, Stacey's poison ivy, Dawn getting lost, etc. And for some reason, Kristy's explanation of Jo's mohawk has always stuck with me. Same with Dawn's cabbies. The only thing I didn't care for too much was Jessi and Mallory's plots- BORING! And the Junior CIT thing is so lame. But other than that, this is one of my favorite Super Specials.

(Btw, I always thought it was weird that the BSC almost always meet a boy on one of their many trips. Especially Claudia.)

Kylie said...

Yes I remember this one. Especially when Kristy says "I've never been to camp it would be fun to go" (or something along those lines) but in #11 she says she would kill her mom if she ever sent her to camp, and in Kristy's book she went to baseball camp when she was 10. Am I totally sad for knowing all this.

blondie212 said...

loving the blog. just found it, and am reading the entries in order!

i was a camp counselor in college and 13 year olds were still campers.

what is up with 11 year olds being junior CITs- what the hell is a junior CIT? a CIT is basically a junior counselor, so is a junior CIT a junior junior counselor?

Jillian said...

Just discovered this blog! I've been laughing my ass off reading it. Thanks for making unemployment fun again!

What I remember about this book is someone freaking out about a bra strap. I'm pretty sure it was Kristy before she gets the makeover. She sees that the other girls ARE WEARING BRAS! OMG! I think I was 8 while reading that and still thought WTF, chill out Kristy.