Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Mallory made me do it; or, BSC Super Special #4: Baby-sitters’ Island Adventure

Ah, yes… “Who thought they’d end up…shipwrecked?” Who, indeed. Yep, so the bare bones plot: Claud and Dawn take sailing lessons, then decide to race. They tie. So, during the tiebreaker, they bring Jeff, Becca, Haley Braddock and Jamie Newton. And a storm comes up and takes out one of the boats…they wash up on an island and are stuck there for two days. [I find myself completely unable to stop singing “Stuck on an Island,” so please excuse any lapses into “doing co-oke with Henry and I totaled my car…” Finally, they are rescued and everything is all better…Blargh. Okay, I loved this one first time around, but it really kinda dragged on this time around. Details? Sure, why not.

Let’s start with the most boring first:

Mal: She’s sad. She writes in her journal and goes out on boats with her family, looking for the missing.

Stacey: She’s in New York for the weekend, but she can’t focus because she wants to be back in Stoneybrook, where the action is…[okay, she didn’t say that, but I just really wanted to!] She gets into a big fight with Daddums and makes her way back to the missing. [see what I’m doing here? I’m using the word missing in each one of these! It’s drama-ful!]

Kristy: She’s all about going out searching. Oh, and she has a fight. With her boyfriend. Ba-art! Ooooooooo! Cause she wants to cancel the Bashers/Krushers game, and he’s all “you’re just doing this cause we’ll beat you again!” and she’s all team member! Cheerleader! Missing! But they make up after he sees the news or some shit and realizes she’s not being a chickenshit. And Kristy cries a lot in this one.

Mary Anne: Okay, so she feels guilty the whole time cause of this fight she had with Dawn. Here’s the deal. Logan called Dawn to tell her to tell Mary Anne that he couldn’t make their date, but Dawn forgot, so MA’s all pissed at Logan, but he gets wicked pissed at her when she realizes what happened and he can’t believe she’d think he do that…blah. So, MA then gets crazy mad at Dawn for fucking up. And, damn, MA’s an angry bitch! She totally needs to let it out more, cause she’s obviously bottling. Whatevs. Then after Dawn goes MISSING!!!!, MA keeps blaming herself. She can’t search cause she’s too wrecked or whatever.

Dawn: So, Dawn discovers that she’s not always the strongest one in a crisis…She completely falls apart a few times while they’re missing. And this all very confusing for her, as she always thought of herself as grounded and self-sufficient.

Claud: Claud keeps her head on her shoulders and figures out how to collect water and get rescued! She’s smart! Sort of! But only when she’s missing!

Jessi: Ah, here we go, bitches! This is the single most insane thing ever in any of these books, I shit you not. Okay, so after agreeing to let Becca go sailing, Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey go out of town for the weekend. AND THEY LEAVE JESSI IN CHARGE OF BECCA AND SQUIRT FOR THE WHOLE WEEKEND! SHE’S ELEVEN AND THEY LEAVE HER ALONE IN CHARGE OF AN INFANT AND AN 8-YEAR-OLD!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY! And then, after Becca goes missing, the dreaded Aunt Cecelia comes to help out/take over, what have you. And then Jessi gets all pissed that Cecelia insists on calling her parents and, get this, ruining their trip! Cause they’ll mind. And, what, she expects them not to find out? And what if Becca died? They’d get back all, “great trip!” and then they’d find out. Ridiculous!

Now, for the fun stuff!


  • Claud loses the first race because of what she wears! “So she’d put on a tank top and baggy drawsting pants. Over the top, she was wearing a button-down shirt of her father’s. The sleeves were rolled up, but none of the buttons were buttoned. She was also wearing big earrings that she had made herself…” So, the shirt gets in her way and the earrings get caught on the sail…and I nearly died laughing. Because I am a mean little bitch.

  • Blah, Dawn’s all “I want a record of this from everyone’s point of view, so everybody write it up!” Bitch.

  • So, apparently, Dawn goes sailing everytime she’s in Cali, yet she never mentioned it before, and she never mentions it again. Although, I’m sure she’s off sailing for a while.

  • Jeff dubs Carol (you know, dad’s lady friend) the “Hair Queen,” cause she’s always changing her hair. I used to be the Hair Queen, but I’ve been knocked down the hair royalty line as of late. I miss having hot pink hair!

  • Seriously, Logan and Mary Anne can fight! Ouch!

  • Hee! Stoneybrook is positively swimming with reporters!

  • Seriously, they take notes at an emergency meeting. Heaven forbid there be no record of the meeting while their friends are missing. Oh, and the illustration of the meeting is awesome, cause in it all these bitches are sad and weepy! Is it wrong that I take pleasure in that? Really?

  • Remember how the kids spell “HELP” with shells the exact same color as the sand? I totally remembered that, and so did PoBal!

  • And Dawn’s all OCD about knowing the time…Totally worse than me.

  • Oh, yeah, did I mention that it [say it with me!] sooooo hard being Stacey.

  • Even in the middle of the crisis, Mal’s all pretentious wanna-be writer: “We’ve spent so much time on the water that whenever I close my eyes now, all I see is an endless blue-green expanse…” LAME!

  • One of Claud’s spelling mistakes cracked my lefty shit up! “Frist the water colecter…” which I like to read as Frist, the Water Collector. Because I have officially lost my mind. And I hate Bill Frist.

  • Oh yeah, they get honored by the mayor and get a press conference and shit. I keep forgetting about that part.

  • I find it hard to believe that Claud doesn’t have her own answering machine.



Phew. Enough. That was tough. I hope y’all enjoy it; it was painful…

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I forgot what an ass Bart was in this book...

Anonymous said...

I know I hated Bart from here out and I had before thought he was one of the least lame of the potential boy interests.

Anonymous said...

Claud totally has an answering machine! I KNOW they've mentioned it in one of the books.

Jessi's being able to be in charge of her INFANT BROTHER and MISSING SISTER for an entire weekend always pissed ME off too. I refuse to believe that in one town there is a group of seven girls - yes, GIRLS, LITTLE GIRLS WHO ARE ONLY 11 AND 13 - who are all so responsible that parents would leave them in charge of infants. Argh...

Anonymous said...

My strongest memories of this book are of what a jerk Bart was to Kristy and how Dawn couldn't do anything on the island. She was a little hopeless.

Anonymous said...

You have really inspired me to search out these books. My local library YA section is pretty lame and only has RL Stine and a few other randoms. It is like, two shelves. Maybe the big county library. Now I feel like a loser.

Sarah said...

Add me to the list of people who've completely fallen in love with this blog. I read the BSC series religiously when I was younger and really enjoyed it. Then, when I got older I used it in an essay about formula writing.

I agree that it's ridiculously unbelievable that Jessi's parents would leave her in charge for a whole weekend. In fact I always found that these girls were written older than they were. Maybe I was a late bloomer, but I didn't have any boyfriends to speak of at the age of 13, let alone exes.
Anyway, I'm hooked and I'll keep reading.

bibliomancy said...

I've been reading for a while, but have never commented before. I love, love, love this!
Even more now that my boyfriend bought me a lot of BSC books off ebay for christmas!

This book was the first one I read after the books arrived. I don't remember reading it when I was young. I think I skipped over the Super Specials.

Rebecca said...

and what kind of parents let their children go out on a sailboat manned by a freakin' 13 year old??? Who has JUST learned to sail!!!

PoBaL said...

This is like the only time Stacey is sympathetic, I thought. She's all worried about The Missing, meanwhile her dad's all, I only get to spend so much time with you, I'm more important than your possibly dead friends.
I guess we know where she gets it from, hunh?

naridu said...

Rebecca you're right, THAT is exactly what troubled me when I first read this book. Especially growing up in a community where water safety was just the Biggest Fushizzle ever! And that their race was to go so far out to water, with little kids on board and no supervising adults! Ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! This book sounds like a complete rip off of Sweet Valley High #56 Lost At Sea. Some salient similarities:
1. There is a heroine shipwreckee who in normal life is smart but doesn't do well in school (Claudia / Jessica). Heroine shipwreckee fares copes much better with the situation than everyone would have predicted.
2. Outfits! Claudia and Jessica both wear tank tops with useless flimsy shirts on the ill-fated voyage (I love that Lost At Sea coverwork)
3. Another shipwreckee is a much more sensible character who suprises everyone with his/her incompetence (Dawn / Winston). Although if I'm remembering correctly Winston wasn't quite as useless as it sounds like Dawn was here. He stockpiled a heap of food and he didn't freeze up until an encounter with a bear.
4. A pain in the neck SENSITIVE character who is wracked with guilt (Maryanne / Elizabeth).

Anonymous said...

Mary Ann does seem like a less cool Elizabeth.
Although Elizabeth kind of sucked herself.

Anonymous said...

If Claudia has an answering machine why can't the clients call times other then 5:30-6?

Anonymous said...

The clients can call at other times, they'll just reach only one sitter for sure, the vice president. Thus it is her unofficial duty to call everyone else and offer the jobs around instead of grabbing them all up herself. Does Mary Anne keep the record book at home or do they keep it at club headquarters? Cause then Claud could see who was free and take care of it herself that way, but I guess that would be impinging on the official secretary's duties. And there is definitely mention of Claudia's answering machine in other books.

Ugh, MA was freaking me out in this book. "I WISH YOU'D GET OUT OF MY LIFE FOREVER." Since ANM is forever saying MA is modeled after her, I always used to think maybe that's how ANM herself reacts when she gets in confrontations. Craaaaazy.

coquelicot said...

I never read this book, but Jessi was allowed to watch her brother and sister for the whole weekend...? What the...? When I was 11, my mom didn't let me stay home BY MYSELF during the day, forget being in charge of younger kids. The closest thing I got to babysitting at that age was helping the old lady down the street with her two young granddaughters during the summer. But for official purposes, she was my babysitter. Is Jessi really that mature? I wasn't some screaming brat or anything. Yeesh...

Artemis said...

coqueliquot, you're right. Eleven is insane. When I was a little elementary school kid, reading these books for the first time, I don't think it really sunk in just how young thirteen and eleven were. I just figured, hey, they're older than me. Aunt Cecilia is just being bitchy. But looking back...wow, yeah. Jessi's parents are out of it, and Jessi's got a screw loose if she thinks her parents having a good time is more important than them knowing about their MISSING daughter.

Also--it is kind of fun to see MA get bitchy. Especially with Dawn (who can get pretty bitchy herself on occasion).

And yeah. I never liked Stacey's dad much. He seemed to be something of a control freak.

emmy said...

to the anonymous who wrote the comment about the sweet valley book - i never realized the similarity, but you're totally right! :)

Anonymous said...

I've never read this one before... but now I feel caught up. My favorite Super Special was Snowbound. The only two Super Specials that I ever got to read were Snowbound and California Girls or whatever it was called...

jayson said...

Oh, those deserted islands in the Long Island Sound...

Anonymous said...

so, i picked up a freak copy of this: the pic of jamie running to the rest of the castaways is reversed! (he's running, they're opening the arms to...NOTHING) like, start the bidding now!

MamatoLittleLouLou said...

OH MY GOSH!! Seriously I just sprayed Coke all over my computer when I read this!! I've been LOVING this blog and am so excited that I just discovered it!! It is the highlight of my day at work!

I TOTALLY remember these books! EEK!! And I can remember at 10 thinking they were the COOLEST and wanting my own version of BSC! But then I also wanted to be Jem. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Jessi's not too far from real life here, actually .When I was around her age, my mom & I got into a car accident where the car was totalled and I was in the hospital for 1wk with a broken leg. At the time, my dad was halfway across the country for a job interview (the accident was after the interview tho), and my mom wouldn't tell him about it until maybe the day before he came back.

Anonymous said...

I never read this one the first time around and I always really really wanted to...

Now I do even more :p

When I was 11, I was TERRIFIED of just being allowed to stay home by myself...much less being in charge of other children.

Emiline said...

Remember how Dawn is working out to aerobics, and she's going to eat a bunch of pasta to "bulk up"? This is going to help her out in the sailing race.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, frist? I'm pretty sure Claudia has dyslexia or something.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Hodges Solileau must have had an off day with the cover art- all the characters are freakishly hideous! Oh my god, the little boy in the yellow shirt and green shorts bears a striking resemblance to Jonathan Taylor Thomas from Home Improvement!