Herein, we are introduced to Matt Braddock, who is profoundly deaf, and his sister, Haley, whose “blonde hair was cut short with a little tail in the back (very in)…” Jessi gets a regular gig sitting for these kids AND she’s learning sign language AND she landed the lead role in her ballet school’s production of Coppélia. Busy little Jessi. AND in the middle of all this, she has a great idea to invite Matt’s class at his deaf kid school to the opening of the ballet! Oh, and all the BSCers want to learn to sign, and all the kids want to learn, too! Hooray! Feel good all around!!!!!!!!
- This book is full of things that never get mentioned again! 1) Jessi is apparently very good at languages. So good that she “practically became bilingual” during her family’s one week vacation in Mexico. What can I say? She’s a prodigy…
- Jessi has the darkest eyes she’s ever seen. Seriously.
- Oh, so she mentions that Jessi doesn’t want to be a professional dancer like three times in this book! I’m not mistaken that later books explicitly say she wants to be a dancer, right? Right? Plus, why would she be in this crazy school and why would her parents spend beaucoup bucks on ballet gear if she’s not at least trying to go pro?
- This book talks a lot about how hard it can be to fit in when you’re different. Like if you’re black, or deaf, or if you have a deaf brother. It’s deep. Thanks to you, ANM, I know now that I should be accepting of people who are different. I’m so, so ashamed. You stupid bitch.
- I hate when ANM mentions real books. I just do.
- And, because there’s no such thing as too much of a stretch for Ms. Martin, one of Jessi’s ballet nemeses has a deaf sister. And her family doesn’t know how to sign, so they don’t communicate. And it’s so sad. But luckily, Jessi can help…Hooray! More warm fuzzies!
- SHUT UP, KAREN YOU STUPID LITTLE PIECE OF SHIT!!!!! YOU MAKE ALL THAT SHIT UP!!!!! THERE IS NO GHOST PARTY, AND THERE IS NO GHOST PATE! [There should be accents there, but I don’t care because I HATE KAREN THAT MUCH!!!!!!]
- I find it hard to believe that Jessi is surprised that Haley sometimes wishes Matt had never been born. Who hasn’t had that thought about their siblings, especially when they’re that young [Sorry, Brian!]. Blah.
- ”Ballerinas have to be strong and agile and in good shape. Junk food doesn’t help you to be any of those things.” Oh, and she forgot SKINNY. Dumbass.
- Stirrings of baby fever at the Thomas-Brewer household. And Kristy’s mom had Charlie when she was 20. Ouch.
- Even when I was like 7 or 8, I didn’t think 11 was grown-up. Nope.
- Heh. The Polanski Sisters.
- I would pay lots of money to see Coppernicus: the ballet. And I would pay more to see Coppernicus: the musical. And still more for A Brief History of Metaphysics: The Musical. [I made that last one up. Shut up, you know you’d watch it, too!]
- I want to go to Good Time Charley’s. It sounds like a strip club.
Hoorah! See, PoBal, I didn’t make fun of any deaf kids! Just everyone else!