Monday, September 03, 2007

The gym was beautifully decorated; or, BSC #38: Kristy's Mystery Admirer

This book is truly ridiculous. (And chock full of boring Krushers v. Bashers "action.") Yep. And features some truly mind-blowing temporal inconsistencies that result in a few confusing explanations...Intrigued?

The cover:



Notable really only because it's actually got Shannon on it...She's wearing her school uniform, and, in a rare bit of continuity, it's the same one she wears on the cover of Kristy and the Snobs! Wow...someone was actually paying attention. Kristy's wearing her uniform, too. I can't quite figure out what's supposed to be on her sweater, though.

The really retarded plot: Kristy gets notes from a secret admirer. Aww. They're all pretty sure that the notes are from Bart. Awww. Then the notes start to get kinda creepy, and Kristy thinks that they're either from Bart (who is suddenly now a psycho) or from a real psycho who is coming to get her. Then, in a big shocker (especially given the heavy-handed foreshadowing earlier in the book), it turns out that Bart did send the love letters, but Cokie Mason sent the psycho ones! Dun-dun-duuuuuuuh!

The mildly retarded subplot: The Krushers beat the Bashers. Then the Bashers beat the Krushers. Then Kristy and Bart decide to have a World Series (I may have the order wrong here. I kinda stop paying attention when ANM starts describing softball games. Cause, boring.). [How can it be a "world series" if there are only two teams in the "league" and both teams are in the same town? Dig? Sure, if they want to declare a "champion," I can understand that. I guess. Sort of. Anyway.] And the Krushers win the world series. Woo. [Not nearly as exciting as when the Sox won.]

The list:


  • Get ready to have your mind blown! So, it's almost Halloween, and the BSC have to explain what happened with Cokie "on Halloween" to Stacey because she was back in New York then. Now, they don't say "last Halloween," but Halloween hasn't happened yet, so it has to refer to a Halloween that's already passed, right? But here's the kicker! Stacey was back in New York in 8th grade, right? So the Halloween with the big Cokie drama was in 8th grade. But they're STILL IN 8TH GRADE!!! So, THERE ARE TWO HALLOWEENS WHILE THEY'RE IN 8TH GRADE!!!! HOW CAN THEY HAVE A (SCHOOL) YEAR WITH TWO HALLOWEENS???!!!!??? I'm so fucking confused!!!! Could it be a rip in the time-space continuum? Is it magic? A time machine? I just don't understand!!!

  • Reading about softball is really boring, and I just don't give a shit.

  • Kristy moans a bunch in this one about Charlie's car. It's a ride, bitch! Don't whine!

  • Heh, Kristy has to wear field hockey kilts in gym class. We got to wear our regular gym clothes during the field hockey unit.

  • Bart thinks Kristy should wear skirts more often. Trying to change her already? [Shaking head disappointedly.]

  • Bart's a guitar player in a band? Since when?

  • [Seriously, sometimes she describes these bitches like they're much older than 13.]

  • Nannie is a "special grandmother who doesn't act like a grandmother at all. She goes bowling, wears pants, and has tons of friends." Wait, regular grandmothers don't wear pants? Or have friends? Or go bowling? Seriously?

  • Claudia's "clothes are so distant...She is always wearing things like Day-Glo high-top sneakers, cut-up jeans, off-the-shoulder sweat shirts (sometimes torn), and friendship bracelets." Um, friendship bracelets as the epitome of cool accessories? It's just braided string! And I'm pretty sure I started wearing them in elementary school. Also, have you noticed how many hyphenates make up Claudia's and Stacey's respective wardrobes? It's kind of a pain to type.

  • Ah, yes, another tossed off reference to the absent Mr. Thomas.

  • "I think boys are dweebs, except for Bart, Logan (Mary Anne's boyfriend), and the boys I sit for." Convenient, that. (And grammatically suspect.)

  • Oh, yeah! Claud's leg, post-break, hurts when it's going to rain...

  • They stretch their dues awfully far. Just sayin'. One dollar a week per girl is only $7 a week, and it has to cover gas for Charlie, supplies and toys AND part of Claud's phone bill. Yeah. Even on cheaper 80s prices, that seems like a pretty tight budget.

  • Did you know the BSCers, excluding Claudia, "have to hide out in closets during personal calls, hoping nobody is listening in on an extension?" I didn't. What, they can't just bring the cordless into their room? Or the whole phone? If they can reach a closet, they can prolly reach a room with a door.

  • In a shocking turn of events, sometimes the Kilbourne family doesn't remember to get their mail until after dinner! Crazy!!!

  • "Dear Kristy, I think you are beautiful. And you're the nicest girl I know. I would like to go steady with you. I wish I could tell you this in person. Love, Your Mystery Admirer." Awww...somebody's lying to Kristy to get into her pants...

  • The envelope has hearts and flowers all over it, so Kristy thinks the note "looks like it's from a girl." To which Shannon replies "A girl who wants to go steady with you? Kristy, grow up." So many gay jokes...where to start?

  • "We sat in the shade because it's not good for babies (or anyone, really) to get too much sun." Wow, Stacey's so smart!

  • Hee! "Dearest Kristy, I can't stop thinking about you. Maybe I'm in love with you. I don't know. [How fucking romantic!] I've never been in love before [Because you're only 13??? Maybe???]. You are as beautiful as a snow-covered mountain. Love, Your Mystery Admirer."

  • Okay, so my copy of this book is missing a page, and I think all I really missed was Shannon bonding with some of the BSC girls at a Krushers game. And I was happy.

  • Dawn likes bad puns. [Smack.]

  • "They made us look like jerks so we made them look like jerks." Pretty much the story of every Halloween in Stoneybrook.

  • "Nannie is a character and I love her." Lazy, lazy writing.

  • Heh, the first freaky note: "I love you, I love you, I love you, but beware. Love is fickle. So are friends. Watch out for your mystery admirer."

  • Jessi and Mal wax all nostalgic about dressing up and trick-or-treating. Um, I'm pretty sure I was still trick-or-treating at eleven. Maybe would've played it all "I'm too cool for this," but I was totally into it.

  • Also, the Pike kids are budding capitalists. Notice how they find ways to charge for everything?

  • Why don't the BSC ever think that Cokie could be behind the notes? You'd think they might have figured it out, rather than assuming kidnappers and psychos.

  • The stupid Krushers cheerleaders dress up as the Three Stooges for the World Series. They couldn't think of any better threesomes?

  • Kristy is so distracted by the notes that she forgets to call a BSC meeting to order!?!?!?! Amazing!

  • The second creepy note rhymes! "Violets are blue, blood is red, I'll remember you when you are dead."

  • In true BSC style, Kristy decides not to tell her parents about the notes: "Should I tell Mom and Watson about the danger I was in? I wondered. No. They might think I was crazy."

  • Shannon thinks maybe Bart might be trying to sabotage the Krushers by sending the scary notes, so all the girls start giving Bart the silent treatment. Without confronting him or asking him or anything. Then he gets all pissy, but Kristy won't clear things up until he shows up at her door. Now that's mature...

  • Stupid Claire tantrums.

  • Heh, Buddy Barrett hits Shannon in the head with a softball. [Which still fucking hurts!!!! They're not that soft, and Kristy should fucking know that.]

  • Awww, Buddy has a crush on Shannon...

  • Kristy can't say "love letters" to Bart for some reason I can't figure.

  • Again, Kristy doesn't think of Cokie when Bart asks if she has any enemies...

  • "Everyone fingers him as a likely suspect." Um, that doesn't really sound like Kristy talking...

  • Kristy actually thinks someone's going to kidnap her for Watson's money. Then she gets offended when Shannon suggests that a kidnapper would more likely go after one of his bio-kids, as opposed to one of his step-kids.

  • Yeah, Cokie brings her friends to the World Series? Why? It's never really explained. Imagine that.

  • Cokie gives herself away in response to Kristy saying she and Bart are planning to spend their lives together. She's bragging or something. I'm still not entirely sure why.

  • One of Cokie's friends is named Bebe. Yup.

  • Stacey calls Cokie a sewer rat, because she "still thinks in New York terms half the time." Really, she hasn't lost all the New Yorker in a matter of months? I'm floored.

  • Kristy and Bart wear lobster costumes to the Halloween Hop. (And they win the prize for Most Unusual Costume. Whoopee.)

  • Karen thinks that "when girls went to dances they wore beautiful gowns and ribbons or maybe pearls in their hair. And jewelry, lots of jewelry." Shut the fuck up, you dumb little girl. Nobody likes you.

  • Kristy likes slow dancing. And Bart kisses her on the cheek. And she thinks she might be in love. Which is confusing, because she's not really that into him in the books after this...She's pretty ambiguous about him, actually. But in this one, she's in love. My ass.

  • I sincerely doubt that sixth grade boys are really that fucking different from 8th grade boys.

  • Kristy writes a note for Cokie, from her "mystery perspirer." LAME.



Phew.

This book was mad boring. Too much about kiddies playing sports and Kristy being a paranoid freak. Ugh.

[I had "Pyscho Killer" stuck in my head for most of the second half of this book. Mainly because of the sheer number of times they used the word "psycho" in this book. Yep, it was one of those weeks.]

78 comments:

Mary said...

Um I just want to say that I absolutely love this entire blog you have going. I too was mad into the BSC and I stumbled across your site through a link on MSNBC. I think it was the guy who writes the Clicked column citing websites or what not. I actually spent 2 hours going through all the previous ones and cracking up. Anyhow, I am 28 and reading your reviews makes me want to go find these books and read them over. It is really funny because I can totally see myself with the same attitude and take as you. So keep it up, I look forward to reading more! p.s. Karen is a twat!

Bridget said...

I remember that cover! I thought that Shannon looked so pretty on it. One of the few times that a character depicted on a cover didn't look like a total spaz.

Miriam (a.k.a Poppy Feilds) said...

Man, I hated the books with all the softball…yet surprisingly Kristy was still my favourite. Maybe because she was obviously a dyke…hehehe.

The thing about the BSC never telling their parents about stuff like this (it’s always to do with dodgy notes isn’t it?), yes they are stupid fucktards but it’s not that uncommon in children’s books for the characters to do that. Just look at Harry Potter, him Ron and Hermione were constantly taking things into their own hands. If the BSC just told their parents there would be no ‘suspense’.

Anonymous said...

snow-covered mountains=code for blow.

lilysela said...

Kristy was just hoping the note was from a girl!

stephanie said...

The BSC was in 8th grade 4-EVA.

Alice said...

I have a copy of this book next to my bed, and as I was about to check your blog, I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if she reviewed Kristy's Mystery Admirer?" Weird! Anyways, I love the books involving Bart where they try to make Kristy seem like not a lez. Also, I thought it was Stacy on the cover forever even though that makes no sense.

Kristin said...

what was the drama with cokie on halloween? I forget ... also, I have a Sweet Valley High blog which I just started, and I plan to link to yours. It's great!

Anonymous said...

The drama with Cokie "last" Halloween was when she sent Mary Anne a necklace in the mail with an anonymous note that said it was a bad luck charm, and she kept sending her threatening notes and stuff. The whole point was to get the BSC together in a graveyard on Halloween night so that Cokie and her friends could scare them and make Logan think they were babies. Lame.

Captain.Laura said...

Y'know, one time I tried to write out a BSC chronology. That's when I started believing these books were bullshit. I mean, they've been to Sea City twice, Camp Mohawk for two weeks, and they're *still* in eighth grade? That pisses me off. If you're not going to follow the traditional space-time continuum, just make the books take place *on another planet,* duh! A planet where Halloween happens at least twelve times a year...

Esmerelda said...

Loving the blog! It makes me wish I still had all my books, because I can't remember what you're talking about half the time. But I do remember that the BSC went through a bunch of summers and Halloweens, and were always in the 8th grade. Creepy

Katie said...

Oh, I always loved Kristy and Bart plots, probably because I'm a sucker for romance but was tired of getting it all from MA and Logan. *yawn*

Those love notes were awfully sappy for a 13 year old (and from a boy too!)

I've just started re-reading the series, just started "Dawn on the Coast." Have to say, these books seriously make me chuckle...and I was SO into them for a long time.

Thanks for this blog, I love it!!

DUCK said...

Why wouldn't a grandma wear pants? What grandma walks around without wearing pants? Alzheimer's much?
Hm. I hate snow-covered mountains. I think I would take that as an insult.

Sneasel said...

OMG my friend just sent me the link to your blog, and it's definitely brightened up an otherwise shitty day at work. I love it; it cracks me up.

Keep up the fine work!

Julia said...

i also adore your blog, just stumbled across it recently. it's been fun reminiscing.

so, i know you hate karen with a passion, but there was one little sister book when karen gets a sweet mullet haircut. no idea which one it is, but i thought you might be happy to know she wandered around for awhile with a mullet. yeah.

Lark said...

I hated this book. It was definitely super boring. And yeah, $7 a week should not go as far as it does. They're always using the money to pay for their carnival of the month too.

kiwimusume said...

This is one of those books that was too boring for me to get through.

@ duck: I totes read it that way too, and started giggling in the staffroom. And then when I got to the next point about Claudia's "distant" clothes I fully pictured "distant" being a euphemism for "not there"...

Shannon's a bit homophobic, methinks...

"Everyone fingers him" made me giggle way more than I should...

Cokie comes to the kiddies' softball game?! What?!

T Star said...

Love the blog, and reliving the days of my BSC filled youth. This was my favorite BSC book when I was younger (I liked Kristy the best, even though she was a total tool).

What I will always remember is the "scary" note with the fingernail clippings. The note ended with: And all that will be left of Kristy Thomas is...and then the fingernails fall out. So yeah, her kidnapper is going to kill her and apparently get rid of all traces of the body, but cut her fingernails and leave them somewhere to be found?

The best part was that Kristy decided not to throw out the clippings because she might need them as evidence (you know, if she decided to do something smart like tell her parents or go to the police).

And after all that note horror, Kristy and Bart's relationship never really went anywhere! It was always, oh I like Bart but he is a boy and boys have cooties, so we can't really date. Or something like that.

Clevegal42 said...

I love the blog - I read all the BSC books when I was younger, but I can't remember where I stopped. And for some reason, I thought they all started babysitting in 6th grade, but it's probably been 15 years since I read one so I could be remembering incorrectly. Reading your blog makes be want to go out and get them to read them again. Thanks for the blast from the past.

Anonymous said...

Is cokie a nickname? Everytime I see it I thin of cocaine. And her friend...I think of bebbe. I need help.

Anonymous said...

Fingernail clippings...seriously? Cokie needs therapy.

I love that our dear ANM wrote that Kristy was taking her calls in the closet, and Shannon even says something like "Kristy can you get out of the closet already??" Even if you don't think Kristy is or will be gay (which I personally don't) it's still kind of funny.

Phyllis said...

The second creepy note rhymes! "Violets are blue, blood is red, I'll remember you when you are dead."

That was my personal favorite bit in the entire book.

Kristy actually thinks someone's going to kidnap her for Watson's money. Then she gets offended when Shannon suggests that a kidnapper would more likely go after one of his bio-kids, as opposed to one of his step-kids.

Seriously, a kidnapper could probably easily lure Karen away by offering her something like a chance to be on tv, or ghost repellent. (I'm dropping hints here.)

The Dairi Burger said...

Shannon is super pretty. And looks about 26. Why didn't they hang out with her more? She could have given them some lessons in coolness.

Didn't they fucking name their dog after her?

Anonymous said...

You know, at least Shannon had the uniform so you could tell which blonde she was.

Dawn and Stacy were pretty hard to tell apart.

Honestly, if they were so scared about someone wanting to kidnap them, I'd think they'd use that annoying bitch Karen as bait.

Angie said...

AHH! I'm reading this one right now :]

Dani said...

Wait, regular grandmothers don't wear pants?

That definitely made me laugh out loud. Luckily, it is only me and the school secretary in the Teacher's Room (and she's chatting away in Japanese on the phone).

kiwimusume said...

dani, are you an ALT too? How many times has this blog made you crack up in front of your coworkers and then have to explain what's so funny?

Kimberly said...

Why did Claudia need help paying her phone bill? I know they had to call back all of the parents from her phone, but wouldn't those be local calls and therefore free? I can't imagine Stoneybrook is big enough to require a second area code.

These books always portray Kristy as being so smart and having such brilliant ideas, but she couldn't figure out that Cokie was behind the notes when she saw Cokie and her friends looking at the notes in the cafeteria? Especially when Cokie has tricked the BSC before? Gullible, gullible Kristy. Yes, Bart suddenly being a sociopath makes a lot more sense.

There are few things worse in a BSC book than Krushers/Bashers drama.

Margie said...

The only thing I hate more than how the BSC was stuck in 8th grade for 20+ years is how everyone complains about how much it doesn't make sense. Suspension of disbelief, people! Jesus Christ! Of COURSE it doesn't make sense, but who wants to read about a bunch of 30 year olds in a baby-sitting club? Aghhh.

Bre said...

You know, I always wondered what happened to poor Bart.... he was way less annoying than Logan!

colleenn said...

I somehow never read this one. Looks like I wasn't missing a whole lot though. About the whole taking personal calls in the closet thing... when did cordless phones get popular in normal families? I didn't have a cordless till I bought one to take to college with me (fall of '00). I know that's insanely late, and I know they were definitely all over the place in the 90s. But were they a big thing when this book was written? Because the whole closet thing makes sense to me because growing up I'd always have to stretch the kitchen phone cord as far as it would go to make it reach either my parents' room or the bathroom because those were the only two rooms nearby with a door I could close behind me. Then again, with all those dads being lawyers in Stoneybrook, I'm sure the BSC's families could afford luxuries such as cordless phones back when they were still a cool new thing to have.

And I found five BSC books at a used book sale yesterday, yay! Anyone know how many Super Specials there eventually were? I saw a list on Scholastic's website, but they stop at like 12, and I know there are at least 15 from searching Amazon. I'm trying to track down the entire series. There were lots of "Stacey is too cool for the BSC" books at the sale yesterday hehehe.

DUCK said...

Maybe cokie IS actually cocaine and Ann M. Martin meant this as a pro-drug message. Legalize weed, and all.

Kristin said...

To anonymous, who asked if Cokie was a nickname. In one of the earlier books, I think, like one of the ones when they are in 7th grade, it is mentioned that Cokie is a nickname for Marguerite. I am almost positive about this.

Anonymous said...

I went to publishing school after college, and my instructor knew ANM's editors from his days at Scholastic. I once asked him why the BSC stayed in the 8th grade for 20+ years, which always irritated me.

He explained that the publisher needed to keep the girls in 8th grade to appeal to the series' pre-teen demographic. As readers outgrew the series, they would be replaced by younger readers who hadn't read all the earlier books and therefore all the other instances of Hallowe'en, holidays, etc. throughout the 8th grade.

Elizabeth

Samantha said...

There are only two moments I remember Kristy being smitten with Bart... when he "saves" her from getting hit by a car, and when he is stuck at her house and she totally primps for him and her brothers laugh at her.

Anonymous said...

Kristi's sweater: either goldfish, pineapples or pretzels. Take your pick.

Anonymous said...

Isn't there a later book where Bart keeps trying to make out with Kristy and she feels weird about it so they b"break up?" She tells him she just wants to be friends but he wants a girlfriend and tells her they can't see each other at all.

Margie said...

Yes, Cokie is (somehow) short for Marguerite.

kate said...

Um, yeah. Wait to stick it to the time-displasion!

xoxo kate

Anonymous said...

"Everyone fingers him as a likely suspect."

I am still giggling and feel stupid, and as old as I was when I read these the first time.

Heidi said...

I always misread Cokie's name as "Cookie." What a stupid name! Also, at 11, I didn't know what fickle meant, I had to dig out a dictionary.

To anonymous who couldn't tell Dawn and Stacey apart, I couldn't either. Didn't they always rave about Dawn's "waist-length hair"? Why is it never that long on the cover then??

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I always thought Cokie was "Cookie" too.

I think the 'Brook is somewhere near Springfield, where time stops and every day starts anew.

It is amazing how many times these twatbags have been threatened.

For fuck's sake, every time you turn around someone is going to kill one of them or going to hurt them or whatever. Geeze, I am in my mid-20's and I have never ONCE been a target of death threats and/or international terrorism like these small-town 8th graders.

For girls that are supposedly so smart ('cept Claud of course, because we all know that she is a hopeless fuckwit) and mature, it never occurs to one of them to pick up the damn phone and call an adult?

If Kristy was my kid and I found out she was getting death threats and didn't tell me, I would be really pissed off and probably not let her baby-sit any more because she clearly has terrible judgement.

J said...

I always hoped Bart and Shannon would get together. Both of them seemed less lame than the regular characters. But that's not really saying much.

For some reason, I thought dues were $5 a person, is it really a dollar? That is so lame and useless. How the hell did they pay for all those frickin' pizza parties and stickers for their Kid Kits?

Anonymous said...

I figured out why they're in 8th grade always and forever! If they ever got any older, the books would have to get smarter and more sophisticated, and let's face it: literary stagnation is easier for an author than having to stretch your wings into new territory. In other words, ANM (and ghostwriters) are f***ing lazy.

shelley said...

I knew Kristy was gay when I was eleven...I just didn't know what to call it lol. I used to suspect she always had a secret crush on stacey (that ho).

I would get upset about the BSC being 13 forever, but I decided to ignore it so I could enjoy the books in peace...logic and the BSC do not mix...

Bart's notes make him sound like a bitch...he would be easy to manipulate...not that I do that or anything hehehe

I remember thinking how great Shannon's hair looks on the cover and wondering how I could make mine look like that lol...awww, it makes me sad to read that and realize how lame I was :(

Epione said...

I loove your blog! I also thought of Shannon as being pretty. I wish they had a "BSC: High School." Cokie can be the slut who gets knocked up, Kristy can come out of the closet and Dawn will meet a real Cali and eat red meat.

Anonymous said...

I found this blog from a link on Big Fat Deal, and it ROCKS. I used to save my pennies to buy BSC books the second they came out.

The day you recap the super-special "Starring the Baby-Sitters Club" where they're all in Peter Pan, I will literally explode from excitement. LITERALLY.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the new manga BSC series? Please review one ;)

ickistickivicki said...

God, I love this blog...
I think it would be totally cool if ANM wrote one last book, describing what happened to all the BSC members when they grew up. Did Jessi ever peform with the NYC ballet company? Did Kristy ever come out of the closet? Did Karen ever shut the fuck up? (actually, I think she'd make a great daytime talkshow host). Did they ever move on to high school?!?! I never read the last book of the series so I don't know what happened...

Anonymous said...

This site is hilarious, but i also found another one that does the same thing with Sweet valley high books. http://thedairiburger.wordpress.com/
I read through it and the writing style sounds exactly same. I was wondering if the writer of this site also does the Sweet Valley summaries as well.

Anonymous said...

I wrote to ANM when I was in middle school (and she wrote back and oh em gee it was the highlight of my LIFE), and she told me her favorite character was Kristy.

Then I grow up and discover that ANM is a lesbian.

Coincidence??? I think NOT!! :)

mahala said...

shannon's pretty. i thought everyone in s-brook was fugly. or from what i could tell from the covers ha.

sarah said...

i love this blog! it is hilarious and it is amazing how many details i remember so vividly (dawn, with her 'waist-length hair the color of cornsilk' -- how jealous was i??). i had one question -- why do you call her ANM when her middle initial is M? wouldn't it be AMM? just curious . . .

too cool for school said...

was i the only one still trick-or-treating when i was 20? huh, i guess i was just a whore for free candy...

paige said...

Re: Cokie as a nickname...not sure about Marguerite, but I knew a girl in high school named Nicole that everyone called Cokie...

kiwimusume said...

Just had a read of this book and I'm suprised you didn't include this little pearler from Dawn The Individual.

So they're talking about who they're going to the Halloween Hop with.

Dawn said she would go alone.

"A lot of kids do that," she added defensively.


Tee hee!

ickistickivicki said...

How is Cokie pronounced? Is it like "Cookie" or "Coke-e" or something else?

Anyways, AMM is a lesbian in real life?!?!?! Whaaaaat?!?!? I need to go check this out...

Lemur said...

Hey All --

I just needed to share this. On my wander past the FCUK flagship on 6th Ave in NYC this morning I just happened to notice their headless mannequines. And guess what the featured outfit was? Rolled dark gray shorts with purple tights, black and red high tops, and some sort of bizarre top. Understandably, Claudia came to mind, followed by a wave of disgust that we're devolving *back* to the shit that didn't look good on me in 8th grade. Fucking fashion industry.

Daz and Alana said...

I am proud to say that I am a 26 year old laydeeeee who STILL reads these books!!! Hahaha! I love your blog, it's frigging hilarious! Every time I go to stay at my parents house I drag out the BSC books and read them all over again because they'e so good...in a scarily bad way.
I know it has nothing to do with this book but I still feel so sorry for Mallory...there's never going to be any hope for that girl. Ginga, braces, glasses and bad fashion sense. Where can you go from there? She's gonna be so damaged when she grows up she'll end up killing people (most probably the rest of her ginga family). Um....that would be if she was a real person. Which she's not.....hmmm...

Anonymous said...

anyone so stupid that they have to ASK A PROFESSOR why the babysitters never got any older is at least as dumb as Claudia! if the girls had aged at a normal rate, they would have been graduating from college by the time the series ended. chances are they would have also given up babysitting. DUH.

Anonymous said...

Kristy always described Bart as 'cute' but I always thought of him as ugly. It was probably the name. 'Bart' is almost exactly like the word 'barf.'
So, I'm really happy that you updated. Shannon looks pretty on the cover. They always describe Shannon as 'interesting-looking.' Or they say, "Shannon has a ski-jump nose and high cheekbones." Ugh.
And I really don't think Kristy should've become all offended when Shannon said that someone would have rather kidnapped one of Watson's biological child than his stepchild. Honestly, Karen Brewer is at least a hundred times easier to kidnap.
Haha, yes, I have the book where Karen gets a mullet. ANM never described it as a mullet, but on the cover, it definitely looks like one. And apparently, in that book, mullets are "in."

Anonymous said...

Judging from how everyone looks on the book covers, I think the BSC describe Shannon as "interesting-looking" because they're all ugly and they're jealous because she's prettier than they are.

Quasi-on that subject, but that is the nicest looking private school uniform ever. People I know were either in plaid (Catholic school) or dull, dull, beige and white.

Anonymous said...

The books actually followed a normal chronological order in books 1-10. The BSC started out in Grade 7 and started Grade 8 in book 10, then stayed there for the next 100+ books.

Anonymous Midwest Girl said...

I just found this blog and spent all morning reading through the archives! I love this site and had such a blast reading through the reviews and remembering the plots - I couldn't believe the little things that I remembered once I read it in your post, like the cities/Eiffel Tower/Tower of London skirt. I totally wanted one of those when I was a kid! I also love seeing the covers - they totally bring back memories.

If you are ever bored, you should list the reviews in order - if you think the books go crazy with their order, it's even more confusing to read the reviews out of order!

Rachel said...

I always liked Shannon much better than the rest of the BSC (even thought that remark did seem a little homophobic). She always seemed much more logical and smarter than the rest of them but the rest of the BSC never seemed to like her that much.

Anonymous said...

I still trick or treat . . .I'm almost 20.

I'm sorry, but people give you free candy. Why the hell would you ever want to stop doing that?

kiwimusume said...

@ colleenn: I've just read the book, and I thought I'd post exactly how that part went. Are you sitting down?

OK. This is how it went:

In case it was private, I took our cordless phone into a closet we hardly ever use and called Shannon from there.

Maybe she thought the cord wouldn't reach as far as her bedroom...

Anonymous said...

"Nannie is a "special grandmother who doesn't act like a grandmother at all. She goes bowling, wears pants, and has tons of friends." Wait, regular grandmothers don't wear pants? Or have friends? Or go bowling? Seriously?"

That made me crack up laughing so much :D

Angie said...

Have you heard?? Ann M. Martin has a new book series called Main Street.

em said...

"You are as beautiful as a snow-covered mountain."

Words cannot describe the stupidity of that simile.

colleenn said...

"In case it was private, I took our cordless phone into a closet we hardly ever use and called Shannon from there."

ohhhh. :) well, yeah, then that's just sad.

Anonymous said...

So, how could you win that trip to NYC that is advertised on the cover?

Tara said...

So, I was noticing that Shannon's uniform is red and purple. Does she go to Red Hat Society Middle School? Those Red Hat Society ladies are probably a lot like Nannie, wearing pants and everything. Probably red and purple pants!

Anonymous said...

on her sweater, that's just an argyle pattern.

Raine said...

Anyone else ever want to try out this love-note-to-scary-note thing to freak out their enemies? Or was that just me? Ok, just me.

Shannon's not homophobic; that line was just meant to be funny. I doubt 11-year-olds reading the series really knew much about the gay community.

Random said...

Right, because you need to know something about the 'gay community' to notice it's supposedly ridiculous to get a love note from a girl. I guarantee that absorbing lines like this as throwaway 'jokes' is part of what made being a preteen lesbian so wonderful.

Yankees Chick said...

DUDE... you forgot to mention that Kristy describes Shannon as "interesting-looking", but then tries to pass it off as a compliment because of her "ski-jump" nose. Um...

ndpndntfilm93 said...

"You are as beautiful as a snow-covered mountain"

WHAT THE HELL?! LOLZ.

You know, the second psycho note was what I was expecting. You know, "I love you so much I want to kill you and skin you and wear you like pajamas."

God, I think Bart is Kristy's beard. Like halfway through high school she'll realize that she has a crush on the captain of the field hockey team (those skirts drive her wild) but is afraid to admit it so she dates Bart but never lets him go past second base. Until prom where she gets drunk and lets him do her in the back of Charlie's old car.

But then she goes to like Wesleyan or something and embraces her lesbianism. And meets her life partner Julie.